What is Right to Try?

Right To Try is federal and state legislation that allows terminally ill patients to work with their doctors and drug or device manufacturers to access investigational treatments that have passed the FDA’s safety testing phase (Phase I), but are not yet widely available.


More than 1 million Americans die from a terminal illness every year. Many spend years searching for a potential cure, or struggle in vain to get accepted into a clinical trial. Unfortunately, FDA red tape and government regulations restrict access to promising new treatments, and sometimes for those who do get access, it’s too late. Fewer than 3 percent of terminally ill patients gain access to investigational treatments through clinical trials. Right To Try was designed to help the other 97 percent.

Tell Congress to Support the Right to Try

Fill out the form below to send a message to Congress asking them to support the Right to Try:

Share Their Stories

These children, women and men have been touched by Right to Try. Watch and share their stories.

Speak out on Social Media

Share these images on social media to show your support for Right to Try.